Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Weighty issues

As evidenced by my picture on this blog, I am just a little bit overweight. Just a tad.

Weight has been an issue for me since I was in my 20's. Pregnancy did NOT play a part in it. I was the same weight with my second pregnancy as my first and had lost to below my pre-pregnancy weight within 6 weeks with both babies, so I can't blame it on that. I would blame it on my thyroid, but that so ain't true! That didn't go bust until about 3 years ago. I do have maltracking syndrome in my kneecap (patella) so quite often my knee catches and hurts. That hasn't helped. It has gotten better and hopefully will continue do to so. I sure don't want to have surgery!

I have, as have most professional dieters, tried every diet I could find from low carb to green tea. The only thing that has EVER worked for me has been calorie restriction and exercise.

Now the hospital I work for has these great programs at their employee gym. The first program is the ALED, Active Living Every Day, which helps busy people find the time and motivation to fit exercise into their schedules.

The second program is a year long course in weight loss, nutrition and exercise. I have completed the ALED and am in the second. The first 12 weeks of this program are pretty intense. My "personal trainer" said I am going to think I'm in boot camp before this is over. She is going to teach us "pole walking" which is using ski poles like you are going cross-country skiing, but there sure isn't any snow down here!! Anyway it is supposed to not only work the legs and arms but also the core. I'm actually looking forward to something new.

So far in 9 weeks I have lost 13 lbs with a really loooooooooooooooong way to go. I am glad this program takes a year. I always felt that I got "lost to followup".

No comments: