Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Benedict XVI

I wanted to say something really astute about Benedict and his visit to the US but I really don't know enough about him to "pontificate". **snicker snicker**

However, I was impressed with his teaching to children about frequency of confession. To quote (and here's hoping I get it right . . .) he said "It's very helpful to confess with a certain regularity. It is true: our sins are always the same, but we clean our homes, our rooms, at least once a week, even if the dirt is always the same … Otherwise the dirt might not be seen, but it builds up. Something similar can be said about the soul, about me: if I never go to confession, my soul is neglected and in the end I'm always pleased with myself and no longer understand that I must work hard to improve …"

I have a problem with confession myself. I make no apologies for it. I just do. I am trying to do better and this teaching is really comforting to me. The explanation is really simplistic (he said this to some children) but very clear.

I have not read his encyclicals on love and hope, but I will soon. I am beginning to feel a connection to this Pope. Maybe I'm just starting to mature a little in my faith.

No comments: